Friday, February 26, 2010

but I thought it was green.

photo by jbrownell



I hail from all over the place.  I'm an Army brat and being one means that there are many places I call (or have called) home.  My most recent, and longest, is Arizona.  I'd had the itch to move on for a while, but education called so I stuck around.  After I graduated college, I decided it was time to hightail it out of there.  I got a job in Wyoming, found it on a map, and drove north to start my new life.  Upon entering the state that is now my home, I was struck with how brown it was.  Wait.  I just left brown.  Arizona is brown.  But this is brown too! I expected green.  Sadly, I naïvely assumed that everywhere outside of Arizona was some lush oasis.  But all that means, is that Wyoming certainly isn't the last stop in finding the place to lay down some roots.  And I'm sure that whatever that place may be, it'll definitely be green.

Why do I need green so much?  There's something about a green, wet, lush landscape that makes everyday feel magical.  You can smell the life in the air.  It makes me feel alive.  I think Washington/Oregon/Vancouver B.C. would be perfect.  You have the ocean, the green dense forests and mountains to ski.  That sounds pretty perfect to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails